Welcome to Year Three
Staff in Year Three
Your child’s teacher is Mrs Friar.
Teaching Assistants are Mrs O’Callaghan, Mrs McGann and Miss Stimpson.
Welcome to Year Three. We have had a busy week and a half and the time has been flying by! I just wanted to remind you about some details relating to Year Three.
Snack and dinners
• At morning break, toast and drinks are available for the children to buy. It is 25p for toast and 25p for a drink. The children need to be responsible for their own snack money and it should not be handed in to the school office. They can, of course, bring in their own healthy snack.
• Dinners are no longer free in Year Three. Dinners can be paid for daily or weekly on a Monday. Again, children are responsible for keeping their own dinner money with them and taking it at dinner time to pay.
• READING – Children will be expected to read with an adult each night for 10 minutes (or longer) and will need to have their reading record signed by an adult each night. This must be brought into school every day. They do not need to read the whole book, just part of it. Please ask your child questions about what they have read to you.
• Homework will be given weekly. The children will get English and Maths on a Friday. These must be handed in on the following Wednesday morning. Spellings will be given out on a Friday for the children to learn in time for a test the following Friday. The children will also be given times tables tests each Friday (they will be told what times table to learn).
• PE days in Year Three are every Tuesday and some Thursdays. It is better to keep PE kit in school throughout each half term so the children are prepared if we have an unexpected PE lesson or other sporting activity.
• Your child will be going swimming in the Spring or Summer term, for about 10 weeks. This is part of the curriculum. If your child has never been swimming, please try to take them (or get someone to take them) in the months leading up to their school lessons. It can be an anxious experience for them if they have not been in a swimming pool before. They will need to pay a £1 weekly contribution towards the cost of the coach to swimming.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to come and see me. You can see me informally at the end of each day or make an appointment with the office if you wish.